The Violet Avenue School
Constructed in 1939 and 1940, the Violet Avenue School is a monumental public school building consisting of load-bearing bluestone walls laid out in a random ashlar pattern with a concrete basement and reinforced concrete floor joist construction. The two-story building has a symmetrical five-part facade, with four wings, two on either side of a central tetrastyle portico entry block. A central two-story classical portico and prominent domed cupola rises from the main roof ridge. A hipped gray slate roof covers the main part of the building, with cross gables over the outer and central wings. The gable-front wings at each end echo the gabled central portico. Stylistically the building is consistent with the Colonial Revival style that dominated many public buildings of the era. The classical Georgian and Adam inspired details are executed primarily of wood, while the walls are of native stone meant to evoke the local Dutch Colonial building tradition. All windows are wood or vinyl with stone sills. A plain wooden frieze spans the entire façade below the roof. In terms of overall style, form, siting, and materials, the Violet Avenue School retains its historical and architectural integrity. Though many of the windows have been replaced, excepting the wood sash windows on the central entry block, the placement, size and overall style of the replacement windows relate closely to the originals. Aside from the windows and some minor interior and exterior maintenance, the building has remained unchanged.